Sunday, November 15, 2009

The World's Greatest Wife

This is Kurt. My life's been a little crazy lately. The filing deadline for my clients is Monday, November 16, so I've been working long hours for the last few weeks. First, I caught a weird virus that went after my vocal cords. I didn't feel so hot and had no voice and I relied a lot on her to help me for about three weeks. I finally got better just in time for things to get crazy at work. I'll use this last week as an example. I usually ride the bus to work and my last bus comes home at 6:15pm. This last Tuesday, I worked at the office until 11:00pm. I called Jes and she packed up the boys and came to pick me up. The next night, I needed to work late again, so Jes missed mutual to watch the boys then packed them up and came to get me at 9:30pm. The next night, I was supposed to catch the 6:15 bus because busy season was wrapping up. But, my final project ended up taking until 6:30 so Jes had to come get me again.

Besides this, I've been waking up around 5:15am every morning to teach seminary from 6:00 to 7:00. Because I'm as quiet as a nuclear explosion, I've accidentally awakened the boys a few of those mornings meaning that Jes has to get up at the same time. If you know Jes, you know that she needs 10 hours in bed to get 6 hours of sleep. It's just the way her body works. My crazy hours have decimated her sleep this week. Being five months pregnant, that sleep is even more important than usual.

Because the boys have been dragged downtown late at night and have been waking up especially early (Michael usually sleeps until around 8:00am), they've been meaner and grouchier than normal, both to each other and to Jes. Finally, there was a three-day stretch where I saw the boys for about 10 minutes total.

Today was our primary program in church. Joshua had a couple of lines to say on his own and a poem to say with his class. I haven't had any time, so Jes worked with Joshua on both. He said his lines perfectly and the poem almost perfectly. He was so cute up there. But, the best of all was when the primary sang their first song. Joshua doesn't pay great attention in primary and he likes to play around. But, when they started singing, he was right there with the rest of the group singing and smiling. When he looked at me and smiled, I just broke down and cried a little. He was so great today because Jes has been a great example and teacher for him. I couldn't be prouder of my son.

Jes has maintained the house, taken care of the boys, nurtured our fetus-daughter, taken care of my needs that I didn't have time to address, and found a little time to work on her sanity. Through all of that, I HAVEN'T HEARD HER COMPLAIN ONCE! I want to let every one of you know that I think I am married to the most incredible woman in the entire world. Whatever flaws she might have, I couldn't ask for a better companion. I love her with every bit of my heart and I hope she knows that. I am blessed and I'm grateful for those blessings.

By the way, for those I never talk to: Hi. Things are great in Bennion-Land. I hope you can the same about your ...-Land. I still consider you my friends, even if we never talk. I'm just lousy about calling. I'll blog again in about a year.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

I agree.....she is pretty cool.

Lynnie said...

wow, that was a nice post Kurt! I'll never get one over here, cause I may put up with almost as much, but I always, always whine about it. dang.

Michele said...

After reading what you wrote to Taylor, laughing a little at the funny things you said and smiling at the sweet things you had to say about Jes I am thinking oh he is so sweet and Taylor says, "ya Kurt's fun,I wish he were around, he'd play board games with me". Pour Taylor, he misses his Cornell friends.