Friday, September 3, 2010

A Busy End to the Summer

The last month I feel like I've been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. We had a wonderful family reunion in Washington with Kurt's family then Kurt left for a few day's trip to North Carolina. Getting ready for Josh to start school, getting appointed to to city government and birthday parties cover the last two weeks. And with all, sickness abounded.

We took our first road trip with all the kids to Washington to visit with Kurt's family to celebrate his Dad's retirement. The plan was we would all drive out then Hazel and I were going to fly back to Minnesota then travel with my parents to Michigan for a family reunion with my Mom's side of the family. After 3 days in the car which went surprisingly well we arrived at Kurt's brother house. We had a wonderfully time going to NW Trek which is a cool mountain animal sanctuary. We saw buffalo, mountain goats, big horned sheep, elk, deer, grizzly bears, bald eagles, and so many more animals closer than any zoo I've been to. The boys loved it. Unfortunately we forgot our camera. That night we went to a Japanese restaurant that my nephew affectionately calls "Fuji Mama's" it was so much fun. We took up to tables and the chefs we so hilarious. A night we will all remember. The next day I came down with what I thought was food poisoning from an under cooked shrimp but we found out later was the start of a family wide Flu. Because of that my trip back to MN didn't happen. My sister-in-law Anne was awesome and took care of all the little kids while the adults and older kids went to a water park and I puked my guts out. Once i was feeling better we headed to Kurt's parent's house for the rest of the week to relax, play games like guess who is going to get sick next. After delaying our trip home by 2 days we headed out on our long trip home. Most of the trip was uneventful till we got to Bismark, ND. We figured we'd stop at 9pm in Bismark because it's North Dakota on a Monday, there's always hotels free. Well we must have picked the wrong night 3 towns in a row were sold out. By now it's 11pm we're exhausted so one of the hotel desk clerk tells me there's a room at the starlight Inn (remember that name if you're ever in ND) open if we hurry. Let's just say it's something I never planned on doing in my whole life and will never do again. It seriously was a roach motel. I wanted to sleep in the car rather than stay there but Kurt said how bad could it be. Then we got in bed and all of a sudden Kurt told me to turn on the light. I did as Kurt rips off the sheets and finds a bug. Yeah that was fun and not the last bug we found either. I was never so glad to be back home the next day. After that long family vacation I learned two things not a huge fan of long road trips my kids are wonderful. They did great on the long days in the car and played well with there cousins. I did take one picture on the trip. Kurt teaching Hazel the joys of Rockband.





We were home one week when Kurt left for North Carolina. Kurt hasn't traveled for a few years for work and I figured I would be able to do all my little projects while he's gone when I'm by myself at night. Yeah, I know all you out there are laughing at my idiocy. I have never been busier keeping the boys having fun, planning mutual and keeping sane without Kurt. I didn't realize how my sanity involved having Kurt take up the slack at night. We did have some fun while Kurt was away. We made bird houses, played with cousins and stayed up late.

After Kurt came back we did our final preps to get Josh ready for school. Then it was Josh's birthday, and the next thing we knew the first day of school was here. (I'll save those for the next post.)

While that was going on I decided what I wanted to do with my life. Don't get me wrong I love being a stay-at-home mom but I also want to do something with the education and talents I've been given to do something else too. I got my BS in Zoology and have been trying to figure out something that I can be passionate to do with it since then. Then I was thinking about it a few months ago and looking back on all the things I've done and realized I really want to get involved in government, notice I didn't say politics. This isn't about political parties it about using my skills to see past difference and making my city or state a better place for all of us. So anyways I applied for a position on a city commission and was appointed to the charter commission. Just in case you don't know a city charter is like a Constitution of a city so we are in charge of making amendments to it. So far I been to on meeting and am liking it. I wanted to start from the ground up and we'll see where I go from here. But I don't see myself running for national offices.

So that what our summer has looked like. I looking forward to the structure of fall.

No comments: