I was thinking yesterday of the things I want my kids to remember about me or what I want to pass on to them. I hoping that if I write them down I can remember them and do them before it's to late.
I've always dreamed of making a CD of Lullaby's that I sung to them when they were little or their favorite songs we sang together. Then they could play it for their kids some day and remember when they were little.
A big thing in my family is cooking. I really want to teach all my kids how to cook, especially the boys. It's funny in my family my dad is the cook and all my brother's and brother-law are the main cooks for their families, I'm the lone women cook. So I was thinking about the recipes I want them to know and why they are important to me.
-Banana Bread from my Grandma (it's amazing and her signature dish)
-Cheesecake from my Mom (her one dish that she's the queen of)
-Pasties a family tradition (coal miner food from Northern MN and MI)
-Jambalaya from Kurt's mission
-Panacuken out birthday favorite food when I growing up
-Foccacia Bread from Eliza (Josh's favorite food)
-Homemade Pizza (Mickey's favorite)
There are some others, but these are the recipes that have the most history and love behind them.
One of the most important things I want to pass on has to do with a few holidays I hold dear; birthdays, mother's day, and father's day. All these holidays make someone feel special and loved. I want them to keep up the traditions of breakfast in bed, favorite meals and night, and basically treating that person with all the love we have for that day. For me they are not just a day on the calender they are an event to be planned and fully executed so that person feels really special. I hope when my kids grow up they make their family first and show it to them, especially on their special days.
Two other holidays I hold dear are my anniversary and valentine's day. When I was growing up my dad shared these holidays with us kids along with my Mom. She was obviously first but he made sure each of us got a valentine from him (especially the girls) and on their anniversary they would celebrate but he made sure to remind us the reason they were celebrating was because this was they day we became a family. These holidays instilled in me the love my parents had for each other and the importance of the time they spend keeping that love growing, but also how my husband should treat me and how I should treat him. But most of all how important families are, and my place in it. I hope my kids know how my Kurt and I love each other and them.
Lastly, Daddy daughter dates, and Mommy son dates. One of my favorite memories as a kid was when my dad took me to the ballet for our first daddy daughter date. He bought me a rose told me to get dressed up and took me to see swan lake, then we went to dinner at baker square. It was a great time and taught me how a guy should treat me. I think it's an awesome experience but also a wonderful teaching moment.
I know there is more but that's all for now.
1 comment:
I need some of those recipes. I have a pasties recipe that I love and I would love some different kinds. Plus the pancuken would be wonderful!! It's always so hard to remember all the things to pass on to our kids. Kind of a daunting task. I should post a list as well just as a reminder of what I really truly want to teach my kids!
Post a Comment